Crews called to hazmat spill in Pewee Valley

-A A +A
By Jacquelyn Stoess Hack

Crews from the South Oldham Fire Department and the county's hazmat team were called to Pewee Valley late Saturday afternoon. 

A hazmat spill was reported about 4 p.m. in the 8500 block of Maple Avenue, located in Clovercroft subdivision. 

Firefighters from across the county assembled at the scene.

Officials later determined that the unidentified substance found by the homeowner is known as mulch mold – a foamy, yellow fungus often found in mulched flowerbeds after rain. 

Experts say the fungus grows on wood mulch and is relatively harmless.