A former Wal-Mart store in Crestwood caught fire Wednesday afternoon as a construction crew used a blow torch on the roof.
Firefighters from the South Oldham and Pewee Valley fire departments responded.
South Oldham Fire Department Assistant Chief Mark Gardner said wind gusts scattered sparks from the blow torch and ignited roofing above the building's vestibule.
The National Weather Service reported wind gusts of 17 to 31 mph throughout the day.
Gardner said smoke billowed from the eaves when crews arrived.