Schoolhouse restoration underway in Westport

-A A +A

Due to the efforts and generosity of many volunteers, work resumed this winter on the historic Westport schoolhouse.

Larry Hedges, a local contractor, launched the rehabilitation, turning the old one-room school originally built in 1882 into a museum and community center.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation matched money for the design efforts.

The Head Foundation and the Louisville Community Fund granted funding for the new foundation which was completed by Stephen Edwards Building Movers.

Friends of Westport director Kathy Hockersmith spent months applying for grants and seeking additional funding sources.

An anonymous donor gave matching funds so Friends of Westport could apply for a state grant.

Other donations, memorial contributions and the Westport Homemakers’ Club gave monetary support.

Friends of Westport also received $10,000 from the Head Foundation and $5,000 from Oldham County Fiscal Court.

In November Matthew and Brooke Barzun, through the Owsley Brown Foundation, gave the rehabilitation effort a generous gift.

Traderbakers Mall in La Grange donated booth space and Patty Webb and Laurel Rauch maintain the booth.

They actively seek and accept donated items and have been successful in generating income to fund rehabilitation of the schoolhouse.

Many volunteers have helped in the past year preparing for the construction, maintaining the building and grounds, and assisting in the fundraising efforts.

Heartfelt thanks go to all who have contributed, making wishes come true.

–Friends of Westport