.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Mosley receives new trial date

-A A +A
By Kenny Colston

 

The trial of a former police officer accused of official misconduct has been reset for an October date.

Harry “Shane” Mosley, of Pendleton, was originally scheduled to stand trial weeks ago on charges of unlawful use of electronic means to induce a minor to engage in sexual or other prohibited activity, attempted unlawful transaction with a minor, unlawful transaction with a minor and official misconduct, but was delayed due to the rescheduling of another trial. So Mosley’s attorney, Steve Schoering, was back in court last week to set up another trial date.

At issue is an incident from September 2012, when Mosley allegedly starting texting an underage girl after pulling her over for a traffic stop a day before the texting began. According to court documents, Mosley requested lewd photos from the girl and discussed having sex with her and that if she kept in contact with him, he wouldn’t tell her parents about the traffic stop.

The girl notified police about the messages and Mosley resigned from the Oldham County Police Department shortly thereafter.

After being released on bond for that case, Mosley was arrested again shortly thereafter for his alleged involvement in covering up a DUI crash, court records show. And while Mosley was indicted on more official misconduct and related charges from that second incident, only one case could go forward.

Assistant Commonwealth Attorney Barry Baxter said last week his office had elected to pursue the charges related to the texting incident with the girl when going to trial.

Mosley is set to stand trial on those charges on Oct. 6, although his trial is second in line on the trial docket for that date. If the trial before isn’t settled in a timely manner, Mosley’s trial will be rescheduled again.

The trial is expected to take up to three days. Schoering and Baxter told Circuit Court Judge Karen Conrad that a pretrial hearing before October wouldn’t be necessary.

Endicott sets hearing

Casey Endicott, 19, of Shelbyville, will receive a competency hearing on Aug. 15 to determine whether he can face charges related to alleged gang arrests made last October.

Endicott is the last of eight co-defendants in the case and was recently indicted on possession of marijuana, unlawful transaction with a minor and possession of drug paraphernalia charges.

Those charges are similar to those made available in plea deals to the other seven co-defendants in the case, all of whom have plead guilty to the charges and agreed to probation and diversion as sentences.

Endicott’s case has been delayed due to a request for a competency hearing in District Court, which took months for an evaluation to be scheduled and then the issue dismissed in District Court for a direct indictment.

Baxter had previously mentioned in court that an evaluation was completed on Endicott, but that the results may not be conclusive.

Ullman deal off

A potential plea deal for Ricky Ullman Jr. is off the table after the witness in the case wasn’t happy with the offer given to Ullman.

Ullman is accused of unlawful transactions with a minor, sex act, under 16, third-degree rape and first-degree sexual abuse, related to events that happened during a sleepover his daughter had with a friend. Ullman has denied the accusations.

With the offer off the table due to the witness’ objection, prosecutors will see if another offer can be deemed acceptable. If one can’t be reached, the case will move to trial. His next court date is Aug. 21.

Email us about this story at editor@oldhamera.com.