Goshen man in critical condition after crash on Hwy. 36

-A A +A
By The Staff



An accident involving a Goshen man last week led to four individuals being transported to area hospitals with life-threatening injuries, Kentucky State Police said.

A preliminary investigation shows that a vehicle driven by Donald Jeffries, 50, of Goshen, was traveling eastbound on Hwy. 36 when the vehicle crossed the center line for unknown reasons, according to a Kentucky State Police news release. Jeffries’ vehicle collided head-on with a westbound vehicle driven by Stephen Wise, 37, of Carrollton.

The accident occurred Feb. 26

Jeffries, who was not wearing a seat belt, was transported by ambulance to Carroll County Memorial Hospital before being flown by the Air Care helicopter to the University of Cincinnati Hospital. Indiana University Health LifeLine flew Wise to the University of Louisville Hospital.

Nicole Wise, 34, of Carrollton, was a passenger in the vehicle driven by Stephen Wise. StatFlight flew her to the University of Louisville Hospital.

Air Methods, Inc. flew a juvenile passenger in Wise’s vehicle to Kosair Children’s Hospital in Louisville.

KSP said injuries to everyone in the crash are considered life threatening.

It is unknown whether or not alcohol or drugs were a factor at this time, Public Information Officer Trooper Brad Arterburn said in an email last Thursday.

As of Feb. 27, KSP said Jeffries was still in critical condition in the ICU at UC Hospital.

According to a family member, Angie Wise, the others involved in the crash have serious injuries.

Wise provided a medical update on the family members: Stephen has two broken femurs, a fractured pelvis and a splintered head on his femur where it fits into his hip, a compound break in his ankle and broken bones in both feet. Nicole’s injuries include two broken wrists, a fractured sternum, a fractured pelvis and a broken knee, foot and toe. Their eight-year-old daughter, Sydney, has eight fractured vertebrae in her spine.

Both Stephen and Nicole Wise remain hospitalized. Sydney was released from Kosair Hospital and is staying with relatives in Carrollton.

Email us about this story at editor@oldhamera.com.