Fire claims family’s home, four dogs

-A A +A
By John Foster

A Crestwood family lost their home and four dogs to a fire last Monday. 

Firefighters from South Oldham, Pewee Valley, La Grange and Worthington fire departments fought the blaze at the home of Kevin, Diane and Morgan Shaw on Floydsburg Road starting mid-afternoon and continuing well into the night. 

SOFD Chief Edward Turner said the blaze seemed to start in the garage before it spread to the rest of the house about 3:20 p.m. 

Homeowners believe a heater may have ignited the fire, Diane’s sister Rhonda Silverstein said.

This is just the latest in a string of problems for her sister, she said, from illness to death in the family.

“She’s had the worst luck in the world,” she said.

“What horrible timing,” she said Monday as firefighters surrounded the house. “Three days before Christmas or two days before Christmas. I don’t even remember. It [Christmas] seems irrelevant now.”

Turner said the firefighters couldn’t make it into the basement where the dogs were kept in cages. Heat and blinding smoke kept them from finding the dogs, he said.

As crews worked to control the blaze, they also battled freezing temperatures which dropped to the single digits by nightfall.

E-mail us about this story at: jfoster@oldhamera.com.