- Special Sections
- Public Notices
A bathroom fire spread through the attic of a Briarhill Estates home Dec. 10 night, destroying the upper parts of the home and damaging much of the residence.
Around 9 p.m. crews from South Oldham Fire, Pewee Valley Fire and Worthington Fire responded to the 7500 block of Cambridge Drive near Crestwood. Homeowners discovered the fire and attempted to use a fire extinguisher on it, according to SOFD Chief Eddie Turner.
Turner said the fire “went straight up” through an attic access door in a closet, spreading through the attic. About 30 firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze, salvaging paintings, electronics and other items from the home.
Both homeowners evacuated without injury, along with several cats. However, one dog did not survive.Turner said firefighters went the extra mile, burying the dog for the homeowners before leaving. Fire investigators also responded to the blaze. The investigation is on-going.